Christ Covenant Baptist Church has been ministering in Fayetteville and around the world for more than 83 years. Founded as a mission plant of First Baptist Church Fayetteville, Christ Covenant now has daughter churches of its own in this region and beyond.
If you live in the Fayetteville area and have been thinking and praying about a place to belong, may we welcome you home.
Christ Covenant Baptist Church mission statement:
We are called to glorify God by making disciples of Jesus Christ with the power of the gospel through worship, witness and worthy living in order to change Fayetteville, North Carolina, America and the World.
Christ Covenant Baptist Church is a member of the Southern Baptist Convention. We welcome the fellowship of all believers.
We believe in the Triune God — Father, Son and Holy Spirit. We believe that people are saved by grace alone through faith alone and we believe that the Bible is God-breathed and our only infallible rule for faith and life.
We are a church that exists to go “and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that [Jesus] commanded [us]…” (Matthew 28:18-20)
A Brief History
In March 1936, Joel Snyder, pastor of First Baptist Church in Fayetteville and members elected Gene Hollingsworth and a few other families to plant a church in the Bonnie Doone area of Fayetteville. Mrs. Gunter of First Baptist Church offered her home as the church service began in earnest with four people besides the Gunter family. Interest grew and soon a building was needed to house the new church. A site was selected on Bragg Boulevard, and money, materials, and labor was provided by the community and First Baptist for a building. The building was dedicated on the Second Sunday in October, 1936, and was followed by a fellowship meal. Brother Gene Hollingsworth was the pastor until his death in 1953.
The attendance grew as the Lord added to their number. The church realized the need for more space, so they purchased the present grounds in 1952 and an old building the “Moose Lodge” for $32,750.00. In 1957 more room was needed so the first floor of our present educational building was built, followed by the second floor in 1958. Before the Sunday school section was built, the children were taken back and forth across Bragg Boulevard. It was at this time that the property across the Bragg Boulevard was sold.
Missions have been a great part of Bonnie Doone. In the 1950-60s the church helped plant LaGrange Baptist Church and Snyder Memorial Baptist Church. Then on April 8, 1963 the church called Rev. A.R. Teachey to become the pastor, and under his leadership the ministry flourished and became racially diverse. By this time the sanctuary building was deteriorating, and became very unattractive. The members talked and dreamed about a building, and in early 1964, a church member gave a sacrificial offering which became the foundation of the new building fund. After much prayer and sacrificial giving, the present building was built and dedicated in 1966. BDBC has since called seventeen men to serve as pastor. In 2012, the church called Paul LeFavor, a retired US Army Special Forces Master Sergeant to become pastor. In the Fall of 2017, our church changed its name to Christ Covenant Baptist Church.